Friday, November 30, 2012

Shoes that don't make footprints in the snow



 


 
You were 2,000 miles away, but I still watched for you.



Remember the time we crossed the bridge? You know, the one everyone forgot about with the paint that had faded? We thought it led to delecation. Independence. freedom.  You held up your smooth cold hands to the sky, spread your fingers and breathed in that pure air. We knew no one was watching us and that's what made it so special. We layed down in the snow and let out a sigh. Our breath seemed to float up to the heavens, as if a way to say to God "look at all we've been through."

You said something about how messed up the world is and how we, at that moment, held the key to happiness.

Now I've never been good with words, and darlin', you really made me choke. I don't know what I said, and it kills me.  And now you're gone. Not like gone to California for the weekend, but gone.  Out of sight, erased from me.

While your out in the real world spreading love with other guys, I'm stuck here looking through this fence. Looking at things that remind me of how it used to be. Meaningless things like dirt and snow and footprints. And I know that this is just a fence and I could probably climb over, but it feels like a brick wall.

You're there, I'm here and that's just how you like it isn't it? I'm sorry I was a coward and I'm sorry that I can't fix your sadness. I just hope you'll at least send me a postcard.

3 comments:

  1. You've really grown this year! Each time you write it's better than the last :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Erica. But I really think you could do this all along. Nelson just helped you realize it. Like he did for all of us. . All you needed was a pen name. But, actually knowing you, I think you'll be writing for a long time after this class. Probably forever. Unlike some of these kids here. And that is just one of the reasons why I love you and your blog so much.

    Thanks for being so real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought the boys in the first picture looked like Griffin Kerr.

    ReplyDelete